Yeast shipped in 80 degree weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
What is your thoughts on a couple white lab vials of Ale yeast sitting around 80 degree weather the past couple days? :)

Make a starter and you should be fine. I recently had some Pacman yeast from Wyeast show up at my door step slightly puffed already. I put it in my fridge. When I brewed about two weeks later, I made a starter and everything turned out fine.

I've gotten yeast orders during 90+ heat waves with no ill effects. It's not ideal, but it usually works out ok. Like Mang said, make a starter if you weren't already planning to.

I had some yeast shipped during that massive 100+ heat wave last summer. Two different packs. One was DOA, but the other survived with a starter.

Make a starter and you'll be ok. But my rule after the experience above, I do not order liquid yeast. Local purchase only. Dry yeast is another story.

I'm a local purchase only on the vials unless you have no ability to purchase local. If I was ordering in the mail, and wanted to make top quality beer, I would request cold packs and 2 day shipping. If 80F in the ambient temp, you can count on whatever vehicle they're being driven in to be way hotter than that. I've yet to see a UPS truck with an AC. The back of those trucks is sweltering hot. Easily over 120F on a hot day.

Back