Yeast selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I plan to brew a session apa. I would like a clean ale yeast that will leave some residual sugars. Could I do this with wlp002 and ferment cool? Is there a better option?

Thanks.

APA = clean yeast = WLP001, Wyeast 1056, S-05, Pacman.

Anything else starts to move towards an English Pale Ale.

WLP002 is a great yeast, and you can make excellent APAs with it, but it is an English yeast, will contribute flavor to the beer, and is therefore not a 'clean' American yeast.

traviswalken said:
I plan to brew a session apa. I would like a clean ale yeast that will leave some residual sugars. Could I do this with wlp002 and ferment cool? Is there a better option?

Thanks.

I just used the Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale and am really pleased. Nice flocc, some residual sweetness. I made a amber/brown ale that started at 14° and it went down to a smidge over 4° Plato. I mashed warm to make sure there were some unfermentables as well.

Thanks.

I have a very easy-drinking session APA on tap right now that I used to try out BRY-97 (West Coast dry ale yeast). It gave a very clean ferment at 63-64*F to start and letting it finish at 68*F. Dropped like a rock when I cold crashed it too. I'll certainly use it again as I like it slightly better than US-05.

If you're brewing AG and want some residual sweetness, simply mash it a little higher, say 154-156*F. If you want to keep it malty by selecting a low attenuation yeast, use something like WLP011 European Ale Yeast. I used it a few months ago on a Rogue Dead Guy clone and it left a nice amount to maltiness while giving a clean ferment.

WLP001 is the mainstream "Clean" American yeast. You can't go wrong with this for what you are trying to accomplish.

WLP007 Dry English Ale fermented at the lower end of its range at 65F is pretty clean but a bit more complex than WLP001. If you ferment higher then you will get those English fruity esters.

WLP0029 German Ale/Kolsch is also a really clean strain fermented at 65F. It's similar to WLP001 as well but I get slight bready flavor from it that goes really well with wheat beers. It also doesn't flocculate as well as 001.

Take your pick. I know Wyeast has similar strains to the above so you should use what you can get fresher.

Nottingham anywhere under 65... I have also been using Mangrove Jack Burton Union in my american pale ale recipe lately and it's awesome. Or if you want super stupid clean and hop forward Mangrove Jack M44 West Coast is ridiculous.

Thanks for the help guys. I only have about a dozen batches under my belt and have used the Chico strain for almost every batch. It's time to try something different.

This will be a split batch. I think I will try the 002 in one fermenter and the 007 in the other.

Back