Yeast Selection with this Hop Beast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepipesarecall

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here. Going to be doing my first brew soon, with the Shirley Furioso extract kit from Northern Brewer. I also am going to add a few extra oz of hops to the late-boil and dry hopping, and a pound of blonde candi sugar to the boil. My question leans towards the yeast. I chose the Wyeast 1028 London Ale because I wanted to stay away from a yeast that would eat through my malt, but I'm afraid of the flavors it may impart now.

Anyone have any sort of opinion here? Should I stick with the 1028 or move elsewhere?

Go with Cal. ale yeast. It doesn't effect the malt it just attenuates more. You can have bone dry malty beer, it's like drinking flour and water. You can also use a clean low attenuating yeast if you want it sweet. So long it doesn't throw a lot of esters it should give what you're looking for.

Maybe the Greenbelt yeast from White Labs? Austin Homebrew exclusive, it's supposed to emphasize hops in a brew. Or can't go wrong with the Cal Ale. Nice and clean, fairly attenuative and clears nicely.

I don't really think the London is a great choice for a hop forward beer. It has plenty of character itself and is better suited to something you want to feel the esters.

Terje

IMO 1968 London ESB Yeast from Wyeast or WLP002 work nicely with hoppy beers if you want more "balance".

(quoting 'balance' because it is subjective)

I already ordered the Wyeast 1028 London so I'll have it but I'm not committed to using it obviously.

What would I expect from using this yeast in this sort of brew?

Back