Yeast reviews requested: Koelsch and Cal/American Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any general observations or even done side-by-side comparisons on the following:

Wyeast Koelsch II (Seasonal Strain) vs. Wyeast Koelsch and White Labs Koelsch/German Ale

and

White Labs American Ale Blend vs. White Labs Cal Ale and Wyeast 1056 as well as Wyeast 1272.

For the first, I am just interested in differences in the flavor profile, i.e. which one gets closer to an authentic Koelsch ale like Frueh, Gaffel or Muehlen.

For the second, I am interested in which are most suitable for a C-hop accentuated, fruity APA or American IPA.

Thanks much!

Jamo99

Reaction score
Not sure about the kolsch strains, but can chime in on the 1056 vs 1272. The 1056 will produce a very clean beer with minimal yeast characteristics. The 1272 will produce a clean beer, but a bit fruitier and with more mouthfeel. The 1056 hides in the shoadows, but the 11272 lets you know it's there.

ChuckMoney

Reaction score
I've used both the californias and the whitelabs east coast ale yeast. I like the california V for a good C-hop pale ale, I make mine with centennial/chinook/cascades and 60L crystal and it always comes out really good. the east coast is more of the flavor of a sam adams ale type beer and i find its spot on for making a sam adams summer ale or boston ale clone.