Yeast replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genexxa

Reaction score
Ok I have a can of Coopers Canadian blonde that I want to use soon... as you probably all know there is yeast included in the kit..

Should I replace this yeast with a brand name yeast and if yes, which one should I use?

If the yeast that comes with it is the Cooper's dry yeast, I'd just go ahead and use that. It is a good yeast imo and I use it in one of my brews. If you are concerned about the vitality of the yeast, first off if you bought the kit from a reliable place I wouldn't worry about it. If you think it may be old, any of the following will be fine:

Nottingham
Safale US-05
Safale S-04
Cooper's

One pack should do fine. Although, with the Cooper's you might want to pitch 2 packs as they are 7 gram packets as opposed to the 10 to 11 gram sized ones (this is the standard size). At any rate, I'd suggest getting an extra 2 packs to have on hand in case. They will keep a very long time under refridgeration.

Have you ever used liquid yeast? I'm not a dry yeast guy, so I can't help out there but I'd recommend that you browse around the liquid yeast selections from White Labs and Wyeast and read the descriptions to determin which you think will work well with your beer. White Labs has a style guideline sheet here.

If it's Cooper's or Munton's and within the expiration date, just use it. Safale US-05 used to be called US-56. I wouldn't bother with a liquid yeast for a Blonde in a can.

Back