Yeast recommendations for fruit wines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerngal

Reaction score
I'm just getting into wine making. I have to order yeast and some supplies online as I'm in a small town in northern Canada. We do have a LHBS however she only carries Lalvin 1118. I'm looking for recommendations or opinions or any suggestions on yeasts to try with fruit based wines. A few on my list: peach, blueberry, crabapple and blackberry.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

EC-1118 is a workhorse yeast, it can ferment over a wide temp range and produces low foam, volatile acid and hydrogen sulfide, the down side is that is has relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution, meaning that there are better choices for fruit wines that will bring out various characteristics and add to the sensory profile of the wine.
This is a good link to use to compare the most common strains of yeast put out by Lalvin: http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp, if you click on the image of the packet of yeast, it will open up another page giving you more detail in the yeast, such as 71B-1122, it produces a fruity yet fresh character in wine that would live long after fermentation, and the ability to metabolize high amounts (20% to 40%) of malic acid, which is fairly important in fruit wines that are naturally high in malic acid, and so much more info.
I use either 71B=1122 or K1-V1116 on my fruit wine, but again, once you research the different strains, you will be able to choose a yeast that fits what you are trying to make.
If you jump into grape wine, then this link is invaluable: http://www.lallemandwine.us/cellar.php.

I highly recommend that you check out the Scott Labs Fermentation handbook, this is an unbelievable resource, you can browse it for free online, or download it, or you can contact Scott labs and they will send you a free hard copy, this resource should be on every winemakers "must read" list.

71b is my go to for most wines. It especially deals well with fruits that are high in malic acid. But beware apple wines because they are high in malic acid but the entire flavor profile changes when the malic acid is converted to lactic acid by the 71b and it tastes much less like apples. So you either love it or hate it.

For berry wines or fruits with delicate color/flavor/aroma I like RC212 from lalvin. It works really well to make full bodied wines with excellent retension of all the above. Only downside to that yeast is that it is a nutrient hog and you normally want to feed it a little over recommendation on your yeast nutrient and energizer.

Back