Yeast recommendation for NZ Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
looking for recommendations on yeast strains for a NZ Pilsner. Was thinking of just using US-05 but I do have the ability to lager.

Grain
10lb - Pilsner
1lb - carafoam
.25lb- biscuit
Mash - 150*f

Hop
.5 oz magnum @ 60

.75 oz Nelson @ 5
.5 oz Riwaka @ 5

.75 oz Nelson @ FO
.5 oz Riwaka @ FO

“Often brewed as a hybrid style in New Zealand using a neutral ale yeast at cool temperatures.“

https://dev.bjcp.org/beer-styles/x5-new-zealand-pilsner/

Looks like you can’t go wrong with either choice.

That was my reference for the recipe, after my next ipa I’ll only have 3 oz of Nelson left so I trying to figure a solid way to utilize it. I’ve done us05 at 60 before but this time of year I can easily maintain 52-55. Since I don’t have much experience with lager yeast I’d figured I’d ask the question

34/70 or ideally the liquid versions of it. 830, 2124, Global, etc

Very forgiving at temps in the mid 50s. Crisp, clean, and generally drier than most lager yeasts.

I wouldn’t go Ale yeast personally.

I think you’ll find that it’s shocking how well the hops come through with a lager yeast and a cold ferment. Just dumped the last gallon or so of a Nelson Pilsner/IPL that was honestly too strong a flavor/aroma of Nelson. I wanted more integration and what I got was too Hop dominant. I think I dry hopped it with only 1oz. I think I had 1oz in the WP and 1oz at 20 maybe? Have to look at my notes.

If you want to go ale yeast, I can really recommend WY 1450 (denny's fav). Very clean when fermented cool (around 60 F or even below). But you need to warm it up above 70 to finish after 5-7 days or so, cause it tends to get very sluggish at that low of a temp. But the first few days work like a charm even below 60.
Plus that yeast throws an amazing mouthfeel.

So far I brewed a "doppelbock" and an hoppy pilsner with it (dry chopped with german noble hops). Both turned out great. The dobbelbock also won in it's own category in a comp, the jury did not notice it was an ale...;)

I have had several commercial NZ pilsners including the one that started the style. They all had a noticeable sulphur component and are "crisp" which will be from a lager yeast. An ale yeast isnt going to get the right result.

Edit - just read the Gordon Strong PDF. Hard to argue with Gordon but I do get the sulphur component which he says should not be noticable.

Back