Yeast Ramping Procedure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khirsah17

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a good procedure for yeast ramping.

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that yeast ramping is good for two reasons. You maximize yeast count because you continue to do malt extract additions to keep the yeast in the multiplication phase. Also, the smaller initial volume makes it more likely that yeast will outgrow any bacteria. I'm not positive on this last point, but I'm more interested in the maximum yeast count.

I'm planning on making a big mother beer, >15%, so I want to make a pretty big starter. It's going to be a gallon total, and I'll be stepping it up for 4 days. Then I'll crash cool and add the yeast cake.

Anyone have and advice/experience on this issue?

Thanks!

I was told by a representative of Wyeast labs recently:
Yeast growth and fermentation follow the same growth curve. Yeast does not go through a growth phase prior to the onset of fermentation so it is best to allow your start to fully finish before stepping on to ensure a maximum count.

Can I ask what yeast your planning? I don't make big beers, so I don't know of any ale yeast that go over 15%. I do make wine, but never go over 13% with them.

I am using White Labs Super High Gravity yeast. Apparently under lab conditions I think they can hit 25%!

Latest posts

Back