Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
A friend wants to brew a pretty strong wheat beer tomorrow (let's say 6-7% ABV). It's for his sixtel, so will probably do a 5.5 gallon batch.

He likes german type wheat beers. The most suitable yeast I have is Lallemand's Munich Wheat Beer yeast, but only have half a packet.

Here's the question: Would you just go ahead and take your chances with this half packet, or also pitch half a pack of US-05 (the second most suitable yeast I have on hand)? Or something else?

A friend wants to brew a pretty strong wheat beer tomorrow (let's say 6-7% ABV). It's for his sixtel, so will probably do a 5.5 gallon batch.

He likes german type wheat beers. The most suitable yeast I have is Lallemand's Munich Wheat Beer yeast, but only have half a packet.

Here's the question: Would you just go ahead and take your chances with this half packet, or also pitch half a pack of US-05 (the second most suitable yeast I have on hand)? Or something else?
Make a 2L starter with dme at 1.035-1.040 and give the yeast 2-3 days to grow, then pitch that

I considered that, but we're brewing tomorrow.
Do a one liter starter then as soon as you can and pitch the yeast active. Otherwise use the US-05. Proper pitching and healthy fermentation is the most important part making good beer

Although underpitching can be advantageous in a Weissbier if you are going for those classic phenolics.

At the very least, since you don't have time for a starter, make a vitality starter like DGallo said and throw it all in. You can even do only a pint of starter wort, if you want less starter wort in the beer. But a pint or so of wort to get the yeast woken up and eating several hours to a day prior to pitching will reduce lag time and make for a better fermentation.

Back