Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dommt6

Reaction score
I had everything set up to start a batch of amber. Water was starting to boil, I went to take my yeast slurry out of the fridge and it was frozen! Says on the bag, do not freeze! I abandoned my plans for the evening thinking I had to go find new yeast and left the bag on the counter. This am it is swollen and activated. To compound the problem, I can't make my amber now until wed. due to scheduling issues. Should I use the yeast and if so will it hold for another 24-30 hrs? It is Wyeast slurry. Dom

You should be able to still use it. Freezing it probably killed off some of the yeast, but obviously many are still alive if the bag is swollen now.

If you can, make a starter tonight. That way you should have enough healthy yeast to pitch on Wednesday.
If not, throw it back in the fridge - though you may want to buy another bag to ensure you have enough yeast to do the job.

That's my two cents anyway.
Cheers!

You should be able to still use it. Freezing it probably killed off some of the yeast, but obviously many are still alive if the bag is swollen now.

If you can, make a starter tonight. That way you should have enough healthy yeast to pitch on Wednesday.
If not, throw it back in the fridge - though you may want to buy another bag to ensure you have enough yeast to do the job.

That's my two cents anyway.
Cheers!

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. I'll get a pkg. of dry yeast so if it looks like it is not working well I can re pitch it.

Back