Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBumDeac

Reaction score
I used a propagator pack the other day for the first time, and I'm worried that the starter wort was WAY too hot when I pitched the yeast. Around what temp will the yeast start dying?

Any temp above 120º and the yeast start dying in droves. If you pitched the propagator pack a few days ago you should be seeing activity in the starter. No activity, well, then the wort was too hot.

I should be fine... my thermometer said 80, but after I pitched it in the starter, the container felt REALLY warm to the touch. I brewed yesterday afternoon, so if I don't see any bubbles by Tuesday I'll start to worry.

I was concerned about the propogator pack I started Thursday night as well. I never saw any activity in my starter.

I brewed yesterday anyway and I was still concerned until this morning. I ususally get action in my brew within a few hours. This one took almost 18 hours before I saw anything going on in my brew and now it's humming along nicely.

Latest posts

Back