Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimg

Reaction score
When using slap pack, do I have to make starter, and if so, some general instructions, or, can I warm up pack, break bubble, let sit for 3 hours, see if pack blows up like a balloon, sanitize outside of pack, and pitch.

jimg said:
When using slap pack, do I have to make starter, and if so, some general instructions, or, can I warm up pack, break bubble, let sit for 3 hours, see if pack blows up like a balloon, sanitize outside of pack, and pitch.

It's highly recommended that you make a starter. The viable cell count will be kind of low if you just smack, and pitch when it inflates. I'm sure you will still get a beer if you just smack and pitch, but there is a chance of off flavors.

As a bonus, if you make a starter, you will know 100% that your yeast is alive and well or good and dead depending on what happens in the starter.

Thanks,

Any quick instructions or link to making starter

I have never made a starter for the wyeast smack packs and haven't had any problems yet. It just take a little longer for your fermentation to get going. All mine have started within 24 hours though and have had good strong ferments.

Starters are super easy- boil up two cups of water and add 1/2 cup DME. Boil a few minutes, and then cool it down. Put it in a sanitized gallon jug or growler or mason jar, and cover with sanitized foil. That's it!

covered95 said:
I have never made a starter for the wyeast smack packs and haven't had any problems yet. It just take a little longer for your fermentation to get going. All mine have started within 24 hours though and have had good strong ferments.

Same here. I always use the smack packs w/o a starter But if you're going to attempt to brew beers > 1.055 - 1.060 OG, it's advised to use a started I believe.

Or there are instruction on the back of the wyeast packs for making starters.

Which type of pack do you have? The propagator or the activator pack? Both need to make a starter although the activator claims to be high enough of a cell count. it is not really. Also, keep in mind that how fresh the pack is also plays a big part in how viable the yeast still is. You can tell this by the production date. Plug in that data and the OG of your planned beer here to get an idea of what you need to do.

covered95 said:

Using a starter, I begin fermentation within 4 hours, and am usually complete within 40-48 hours. Less time = less chance of infection, and the sooner my primary is ready for another run.

This site is awesome. Thanks for the great responses.

On how much starter to use, I guess you make one starter as per instructions and pitch it all for a 5 gal. batch. Is this correct.

This site is awesome. Thanks for the great advice.

As to how much starter to pitch, I assume I would make one starter as per above directions and pitch the whole starter for a 5 gal. batch. Is this correct.

Latest posts

Back