Yeast question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
Ping to brew a barleywine that has a target OG of 1.106. Should I pitch two packages of yeast or would I be ok if I did a good starter?

For 5 gallons you need about 355 billion cells, so if using liquid yeast more like 4 packages depending on the production date. I would use yeastcalc and figure out what starter you need. Looks like at least 2 liters with a stir plate, again depending on the age of your yeast. Make sure to oxygenate your wort really well.

So would it take 4 packages to make the 2 liters, or are you saying I should do one or the other? Should it all be pitched initially?

No it's one or the other, but I'd check the calculator with the date of your yeast. With big starters I prefer to let them ferment out completely then decant.

Are you asking about 11g packets of dry yeast, Wyeast smack packs or vials from White Labs?

For dry - 4 11g packets in an ale of that gravity assuming that you rehydrate. Do not make a starter with dry yeast.

Liquid - big, big starter or brew a lighter gravity (around 1.045-1.050) beer with the same yeast and rack the high gravity wort onto the yeast cake from the first beer.

wouldn't that be like 2 packets of dry?

I think you're right on that Chickypad. I was responding on my iPad and didn't notice that Braukaiser uses the much more conservative 10B cells/gram for dry yeast as the default in his calculator (at Brewers Friend) when I ran the numbers. Mr. Malty uses 20B I believe.

It's funny, Danstar and Fermentis have published "guaranteed" numbers of 5B and 6B cells per gram of their dry yeasts, even though their own microscope counts have shown 20-30B cells/gram for Nottingham.

It's funny, Danstar and Fermentis have published "guaranteed" numbers of 5B and 6B cells per gram of their dry yeasts, even though their own microscope counts have shown 20-30B cells/gram for Nottingham.

Curious. I guess I always use MrMalty for dry, although the only dry strains I really use are S05 and Notty. The way those 2 perform though I believe the 20-30B.

Sorry OP, kinda off topic.

Chances are they use those numbers for when the package is right at the end of its expiration date; the closer to the packaging date the more active cells you'll have.

Back