Quantcast

Yeast Question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TheBandit

Reaction score
I am about to brew my 2nd kit. When its time to add the yeast the instructions say to sprinkle it on top and mix well. The other instructions called for adding the yeast to preboiled cooled water for 20-30 minutes before adding. Which is a better method?
Anthony :tank:

kryolla

Reaction score
you can do either one I just sprinkle on top and leave it alone. Some people re-hydrate the yeast but it doesn't matter whatever makes you feel more comfortable.

rsmith179

Reaction score
Agreed. My first batches I was using dry yeast and just sprinkled it on top without any problems. People also rehydrate their yeast before pitching which could help with a quicker start to your fermentation, but other than that, both methods pretty much work the same.

Pappers_

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As noted above, either method is fine. To me, the only advantage that I can see to hydrating the dried yeast is if you are "proofing" it - making sure it is still viable. In that case, you would need to add some sugar to the water and wait for signs of yeast activity.

fratermus

Reaction score
Rehydrating dry yeasts in tap water is supposed to keep from getting, uhhh, osmotically challenged.