Yeast question: My Wyeast 1187 was expired, pitched S-04 10 hours later, 1187 is swollen. Mix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Making a clone of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale (single hop cascade)

My Wyeast 1187 smack-pack was expired so I smacked it and waited a day, saw some but little swelling. About 10 hours ago I pitched a pack of dry S-04. Now, 10 hours later, the 1187 is completely swollen. Since I was looking for the 1187 flavor profile and S04 seemed to be the closest of dry yeasts, would it be good to add the smack pack to the 10-hour old fermentation as is? Should I make a starter of the 1187 instead and keep it till next month? The smack-pack was produced March 29, 2018.

Thanks for letting me know!

I like the idea of making a starter and saving it. You will have essentially rejuvenated it and I don't see a point in pitching over the S-04 as I'm sure it's already fermenting.

Making a clone of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale (single hop cascade)

My Wyeast 1187 smack-pack was expired so I smacked it and waited a day, saw some but little swelling. About 10 hours ago I pitched a pack of dry S-04. Now, 10 hours later, the 1187 is completely swollen. Since I was looking for the 1187 flavor profile and S04 seemed to be the closest of dry yeasts, would it be good to add the smack pack to the 10-hour old fermentation as is? Should I make a starter of the 1187 instead and keep it till next month? The smack-pack was produced March 29, 2018.

Thanks for letting me know!

This is the perfect opportunity to make a comparison. Instead of combining the two yeasts with questionable results, make a new batch and pitch the Wyeast 1187. If you don't have time right now, make a starter and refrigerate it.

Should I make a starter of the 1187 instead and keep it till next month? The smack-pack was produced March 29, 2018.
There's no point in pitching your smack pack now. As @RM-MN said, brew the same beer with this yeast (make an adequate size starter first) and compare to the S04 batch. Or brew a different one based on how the S04 came out, perhaps with a bit different malts or hops.

Although age is an important indicator, the condition of a liquid yeast pack is unknown. Therefore, you should ALWAYS make a starter from liquid yeast, well ahead of brewing day. The starter will revitalize the old cells while ramping up cell count and bring the culture in optimal shape to ferment your batch. One smack pack, even if manufactured yesterday, does not have nearly enough healthy cells for an adequate 5 gallon pitch in anything over 1.040.

Use a yeast calculator such as Homebrew Dad's to estimate cells needed for your 1.0xx batch. Overbuild the starter to save some fresh yeast out for a next brew, and again, and again...

Last edited:
Thank you guys! I will end up making a starter to save for later as I can't get all my ingredients the same right now for a second batch. Thanks!

Back