Yeast property, or something wrong? (S-05)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irreo

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm not sure if I have some problem with my equipment, or it's just how yeast reacts. The thing is that in the last 2-3 batches, I noticed something weird on the bottles.

This last batch was bottled saturday morning, this is, around 3-4 days. I'll try to describe it as good as I can.

First, when I pick the bottle and look at it placing next to a light bulb, I notice some tiny dark dots fixed to the bottle walls. I consider this normal during bottle fermentation.

The thing is that, if I gently rotate the bottle (vertically I mean), to one side and the other, those dots seem to be somehow stick together by some kind of silky cloth, but the thing is that I can't see it, it's transparent, so I have to GUESS it's there.

If I rotate the bottle a bit to the side, and then back, all the dark dots go up and down also like some kind of silk under water... And I also notice some kind of cloudy matter (very transparent) moving around... Similar to when you add a coloured liquid to water and starts spreading around...

I've had infections with some aerobic bacteria in a couple bottles in the past, and I can clearly see some semi-transparent thing climbing to the top of the bottle, which also looks like silk cloth underwanter.

But in this case I just can't see a thing, beer looks good, but it's all these dark dots which have me worried.

Is this "normal" and never noticed it, or is this high probabiliby of infection?

I plan on opening one bottle this weekend so I'll give it a try anyway...

PS: I'll see if I can record a video of it, but it uses to be hard due to light problems...

Thanks!
Regards.

Sounds like you are just mixing around the yeast that has settle on the bottom and Im thinking the dots are yeast that are flocculating out. You re-initiate fermentation when you bottle condition, so the yeast will multiply, ferment and then flocculate and sick back to the bottom. If your fear is infection you can't do anything about it, but its probably not an infection so just give it time to condition and try one.

Relax Don't Worry Have a Homebrew.

Thanks for the reply RmikeVT. I really hope it's as you say. Until now, almost all of the beers I've made were dark (belgian doubles or similar) so I'm not sure I noticed this before so much...

In any case, here's the video. Available in FullHD and sorry for the lightning... I hope the cloudy-silky-cloth-like is visible:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMYrxYXHRs[/ame]

I will try this saturday the last bottle I bottled, maybe not the best because it's semi-full, and filled using a funnel to empty the remaining on the bottling bucket but... just to have an idea :D

Hard to see in that vid. I've never noticed this sort of thing in my bottles. I semi-transparent mat could be acetobacter ("vinegar mother"). Have you tasted any of these for Acetic Acid?

Hard to see in that vid. I've never noticed this sort of thing in my bottles. I semi-transparent mat could be acetobacter ("vinegar mother"). Have you tasted any of these for Acetic Acid?

I looked for acetobacter pictures (as I don't know about it), but not sure it's that, because mine don't look aerobic (in case they are "bad" bacteria). In the couple of bottles I had some weird infection on previous batches, I could clearly see something floating that would creep up to the surface, and some white dots floating there. It was similar to the white skin in the interior of an egg.

This one, it does indeed look similar to vinegar mother, but it's not so solid, and it's almost transparent. This morning I checked another bottle, and it looked fine. Didn't turn it around just to let it be, so I'll wait until weekend and see what it tastes like...

In any case I'm thinking on replacing my counterflow / exchanger chiller, with a coil one. Always read that counterflow was better, but I dislike that I don't see what's inside...

Hi there,

Just wanted to report that this sunday I opened a couple bottles, and even if it still tastes "green", I don't think anything is wrong with it. It's a pale ale (first one of this kind I brew, I like strong beers) and it has a bit of sweetness, so I hope it develops good.

Thanks for the replies!

Back