Yeast problem with das Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMitten

Reaction score
As I was about to pitch my yeast yesterday, white labs wlp300, it exploded when I opened it. I probably managed to get 3/4 of it the fermenter....so, am I out of luck?

As I was about to pitch my yeast yesterday, white labs wlp300, it exploded when I opened it. I probably managed to get 3/4 of it the fermenter....so, am I out of luck?

You'll be OK. It might start off slow and go a little longer but it'll still be beer.

No, I think Hefe's are better when they are slightly under pitched anyways. More of those banana, bumble gum, clove esters.

I wouldn't worry - my one and only hefe so far had very active fermentation - had to quickly put on a blowoff tube after the airlock got full of krausen. From what I hear wheat beers ferment very aggressively. Just keep an eye on it and once you get some action in the airlock you're good.

All,

Its showing some signs of fermentation...I think. Its bubbling a little out of the blow off tube.

And to Tegelaar,

Am I supposed to put on air lock right off the bat or is that your method? I attached the blow off tube right away...

Am I supposed to put on air lock right off the bat or is that your method? I attached the blow off tube right away...

Either one works. I like the blowoff right away so I don't forget about it.

So this is here its at now. Id say it's fermenting. Does that look like an abnormal amount of sediment at the bottom or is that normal for a hefe?

image-3386439219.jpg

That looks like a lot, but I'm sure it will be fine. I'm assuming you might lose up to a gallon or so to that amount of sediment. However, if you wait long after primary, the cake might condense and give you some more of your beer. Unfortunately, hefs don't do well if they are aged.

Just don't worry about it. I'm sure it will be fine.

All,

Its showing some signs of fermentation...I think. Its bubbling a little out of the blow off tube.

And to Tegelaar,

I was a n00b and didn't even know what a blowoff tube was. Just had a 3 piece airlock on. I think with a wheat beer I would do a blowoff immediately.

Back