Yeast pitching temp off - tips/advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SippinSudz

Reaction score
Hey all,

13 brews in, Coopers and other kits are what I'm doing still.

This particular brew I did something different by accident, being distracted and any other excuse I can try to lay out there.

Pitched Coopers Ale yeast at 17° Celsius and placed into my temp controlled freezer that I finally set up last night and didn't add a heat source.... Doh!

My STC-1000 is set to 18°C and planned to keep my Ale in there for 4 weeks.

I check this morning before leaving for work, and the temp controller is reading my fermenter sitting at 9.9°C. Without a heat source, I had to leave for work and plan on adding a lightbulb unit this evening.

My assumption is I may need to bring the wort up to 18° and pitch another 7g-14g of coppers ale yeast. Then having a heat source to keep it up there, with the freezer temp controller to kick in when fermenting kicks off and temps Rise above 18°

I do not have access to a lager yeast but my local grocery store sells plenty of coopers ale yeast.

No need to pitch more yeast, just raise the temp and give the fermentor a swirl, it'll become active again.

Yeast just go dormant when they get cold, they don't die.

Well...
I have one lightbulb unit in the small chest freezer. I've sealed all around the lid with some to keep heat in.

It's been 3.5 hours and has gone from 8°C to 11.6...

I'm hoping when I wake up in another 7 hours is will have reached 18° from one lightbulb.

Back