Yeast pitching - Belgiam Strong Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With an OG of 1.069 will a starter be enough? Using Belgian Witbier 3944.

Or should I augment somehow.

I had a 1074 Dubbel about 4 weeks ago and a standard starter was plenty.

Pitched at 64 degrees.
Held there for 2 days.
Raised to 68 for 2 days.
Raised to 72 for 2 days.
Raised to 75 for 5 dyas.
Back to 68 for 10 days.

Esters were perfect.

You should be good with a starter. Depends on how you are doing the starter though. If you don't have a stirplate, you'll need to have about a 2L starter according to MrMalty.com. If you're running a stirplate, you should only need a 1L starter to get through that 1.069 wort.

Slightly underpitching can actually work to your benefit in creating the esters/phenols so important to Belgian beers as the yeast are stressed. Why the Witbier yeast? Seems an odd choice.

It's an Allagash Grand Cru Clone from AHS. It what they sent me. Never made one before. I was reading I should pitch at 64 degrees and let it warm up for best results. I'm also thinking of mini mashing at 150 instead of the default 155.

Lots of White Wheat in this recipe.

Everyone loves the mrmalty calculator but don't forget about the Wyeast calculator...the people that actually made your yeast:

Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Pitch Rate Calculator

1.069 is not all that big so a decent sized starter should be enough, a stepped up starter will be even better if you want a good cell count.

For my Belgians, I like to make a nice big stepped up starter, like .33 gallon, then .66 24 hours later. Refrigerate for a day or two, then decant, let it sit out to warm to room temp and add another liter of 1.040 wort to get it woken up while I am brewing. By the time I am done and ready to pitch that yeast is woken up and ready to go to town...you will have a massive fermentation going within 8 hours...use a blow off tube, and raise the temp to get the ester profile you want.

Back