Yeast pitch rate for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
I've read a couple articles that said a packet of yeast per gallon of cider, but I was talking to a guy that said it would taste "yeasty" with that much yeast. would 5 packets of champagne yeast for 5 gallons of cider make it taste like yeast? No sugar added, 1.050 cider. :tank:

One pack for 5gal. It would be so much over kill and way yeasty if you did 5. The guy who said 1 pack per gallon was wrong.

Damn. Just found something that said there is 20 billion cells per gram of dry yeast on average, so that would be pitching 500 billion cells....I guess I should have researched a little more before doing it.

You'll just have to taste it when it's done fermenting. Rack it to a secondary as soon as it slows down. If its really yeasty add 16oz of prune juice to help neutralize the yeasty taste. Just a thought.

Prune juice?

"Here is a glass of my cider. Bathroom is down the hall."

I actually underpitch, often use half a packet or less (in a 5 or 6 gallon batch), in an attempt to slow down fermentation. Unlike beer, cider benefits from a long, slow ferment; it loses less of the volatile aroma compounds. Sometimes this doesn't work, but it sure beats pitching five packets and blowing out the airlock! :eek:

Latest posts

Back