Yeast pitch rate and GoFerm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpilot

Reaction score
I am new to the use of GoFerm, though I have 13 mead batches under my belt. I brew small batches, 1-2 gallons per batch. I use dry 5g packets for the yeast, generally 71b or K1V.

My rehydration has evolved from "sprinkle half of the pack on top" to rehydrating seperately in water and then pitching (as described on the packet), to now I use a full 5g rehydrated according to GoFerm instructions.

So my question - I am "overpitching" the yeast with the 5g to 1-2 gallons, and believe there is no concern with that. But, what about the GoFerm? It sure seems like a lot of GoFerm going into a small batch. Is this likely to turn out bad?

I have 3 batches in secondary that were done that way, so it is early for me to know (by taste) how they turned out. The ferment went fine, and they are clearing, that is all I know so far,

I'd use the numbers recommended on www.youtobrew.co.uk .

That site is from the creator of the bomm, he's the person who knows his nutrients.

https://www.youtobrew.co.uk/mead-making-101/staggered-nutrient-addition
Those are actually the protocols I have been used for my last couple of batches. (I appreciate his simplification of the SNA protocols, many of the others always seemed like a lot of busy work.)

But, Bray's example suggests 4g of yeast, which I believe is descriptive, not prescriptive? Since the yeast comes in 5g packets, I have been using that, and using the same math, but I wonder if there is a point where there is too much GoFerm per gallon/litre because of the high(er) pitch rate I am using?

Calling @loveofrose ...

Those are actually the protocols I have been used for my last couple of batches. (I appreciate his simplification of the SNA protocols, many of the others always seemed like a lot of busy work.)

But, Bray's example suggests 4g of yeast, which I believe is descriptive, not prescriptive? Since the yeast comes in 5g packets, I have been using that, and using the same math, but I wonder if there is a point where there is too much GoFerm per gallon/litre because of the high(er) pitch rate I am using?

Calling @loveofrose ...
Good question, my guess is, that 5g and the respective amount of go ferm is fine.

I hope so at least as I used the same amount of yeast for my last two batches which still await bottling. :D

You can also use the TONSA calculator on the Mead Made Right website:

https://www.meadmaderight.com/tosna-calculator
You can choose different yeasts and the go ferm per gram of yeast (about 1.25g) stays the same, but the total yeast nutrient changes depending on what yeast you have selected.
A pack of dry yeast per gallon of mead is slightly high, but it doesn't hurt anything. Using a 1 pack for 5 gallons is ok for wine, but low for mead.

Calling @loveofrose ...

Definitely not an expert, but I read a lot on the Internet... :p

I have seen the question raised before, and it would depend on a few things. Mostly, does the yeast soak up or utilize all of the Go Ferm during rehydration? I'd guess that there is excess, that would go on to be added nutrient.

I remember reading someplace, maybe Ken Schramm? saying that it may result in maybe another 50 points of YAN, but it wasn't definitive, as I recall. That's not a huge amount compared to the 250-350 we want it to be, but its getting there. OTOH, is there a lot of downside to having some extra over the target?
I've also read that you can taste excess DAP, but excess Fermaid O will mostly fall out and not leave a taste. Not sure where GoFerm ends up with some DAP and extra minerals and vitamins...

Also, I just played with the Tosna 3.0 calc linked, it was interesting that it didn't subtract any from the step feedings, with larger and larger amounts of yeast/GoFerm. If there is extra, ideally it should start backing the remaining amount down due to a larger "first feeding" of pitched slurry + 1st Fermaid dose.
Looks like more reading is required... At least, we have many sources, and experience, backing up that these amounts (with a sane, usual amount of yeast) work well.

I use anywhere from 1.5g - 1.9g of yeast per gallon. Now I always rehydrate my yeast and add a little table sugar 1/4tsp to kick start the yeast. When I am ready to pitch I have a nice frothy top of active yeast which I am pouring into my mead. The amount of Go-Ferm will depend of which yeast you are using whether it is low, medium or high nitrogen, but they all need help. I did have problems with a batch of D-47 not proofing in early 2020. Just pitched the whole batch out and purchased another one. No problem since. I also use the TONSA calculator. Has worked for me!

I have been doing a bit more reading and thinking about this. The following articles have helped my thinking a little. Tailored Additions of Nutrients With Go-ferm (TANG 2.0) and High Versus Low Pitch Rate with Go-ferm

Because I do small batches (1-2 gallons), and pitch a full 5g packet each time, I am convinced the 6.25g recommended GoFerm is way too much.

My conclusion - I have good quality well water, and never had any isssues using it for making mead, whether with or without GoFerm. So I think I will change my rehydration protocol to using 1.3g of GoFerm per gallon of must, rather than per gram of yeast, and otherwise follow Bray's nutrient protocol as described here Staggered Nutrient Addition (SNA) - Mead University — You To Brew

Am I missing anything?

Back