Yeast pack warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo11

Reaction score
I inadvertently ordered liquid yeast with my last extract kit order.
I normally order dry yeast and I'm used to handling and using dry yeast.
When the order got to my door it I opened the insulated envelope containing
the yeast and the cold pack and the inside of the envelope was room temp.
Not knowing that I ordered the liquid instead of dry I used ground transit shipping which took 3 to 4 days.
The yeast is in the refrigerator now.
Is the yeast ruined? What should I do?
The yeast is Wyeast 1007 German Ale.

I'm not ready to brew today. How long will it keep after smacking?
If I wait until brew day and it doesn't activate then I have 5 gallons of wort
and no yeast.

OK, I can start the pack an see if it inflates, If it doesn't I can order more dry yeast before I brew. Now that I have a contingency plan, what are the chances of the yeast going bad after 2-3 days at room temp. Worst case what are the chances of survivability if the temps got real high during transit, say 100-110F?

I've got the same problem, my postal service lost track of my envelope that had the wyeast lager yeast. And it was lost in mail for 3 weeks or so and finally arrived. However temperatures aren't so high in iceland. Got it sitting in my fridge at desired temps, ordering some dry lager yeast to have on standby if it doesn't work

Chances are very good that there are still viable cells in the pack, but because of the less than optimal conditions and probably a low cell count, I would not consider a direct pitch of the package. Regardless of whether it swells or not, make a starter with it a couple of days ahead and you'll be covering your bases on the pitch rate - and if it does nothing in the starter then you know they're no good and still have time for a contingency plan.

You should be fine....most yeast strains survive more extreme temperature ranges than what you describe. I too, was initially worried when I went through the same experience. Regardless of the temp of the yeast I have received, I would refrigerate the product and folllow the recommendations on the package as to how long I should let it get BACK to room temp once I took it out of refrigeration. If you follow your end of the business, the yeast will do the rest.

OK, took the pack out of the fridge at 7:00am, smacked the pack and made sure the pack was broke open. Here it is at midnight and the package, as far as I can tell, has not gotten any bigger. No noticeable swelling.
I'll wait until the morning but I have a feeling I'm screwed.

Back