Yeast or no yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AerationStation

Reaction score
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on how to drink a Belgian ale. Ive seen controversy on other posts about pouring off the supernatent beer and leaving the yeast or swirling up all the yeast before pouring.

I am not usually a fan of big chunks of yeast floating around in my beer but I also want to properly assess the beer as intended. What do you guys think?

I have never tried swirling up the yeast. I have not liked when I have gotten yeast in my glass with other styles so I leave the last little bit in the bottle.

When kegging I dump the first half glass, The first few beers are cloudy, yeast and trub... And they don't taste that great either.

Belgian beers are supposed to have some flavors from the yeast, but I think those flavors are mostly esters and phenols that are floating around in the beer already. I don't swirl the yeast into suspension for Belgian ales. Wits sometimes, hefeweizens most times, but not usually Belgians. I'm no expert on the style, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

The esters created by the yeast is a major contributor to the flavor of Belgian beers, however, drinking the yeast is not. Belgian beers are supposed to be clear. Leave the yeast in the bottle.

You're not suppose to serve the yeast with a Belgian beer like chimay. It even says to store upright on the bottle due to this.

However, I personally prefer to add the yeast to my 2nd glass. Just a weird thing I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So can I put yeast into wort that has been in the carboy for two weeks?

Forgot to rehydrate the yeast soooo it's reading exactly the same gravity

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No yeast in my Belgians either. Chimay and Westmalle labels both say to pour carefully off the yeast. To each their own of course.

Even if it was the correct way, I wouldn't put the yeast in because I value the concept of using the bathroom whenever I feel like it.

I've never heard of people swirling belgian beers. Only hefeweizens. I figure I get enough yeast in my diet from drinking unfiltered homebrew. I don't need any extra from swirling up the yeast.

Back