Yeast Nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCmb

Reaction score
I am planning a blueberry melomel, and I want to try to do it without adding any artificial (for lack of a better word) yeast nutrient. I know the blueberries will have some of what the yeasties will need, but I am hardly a chemist, and I'm not sure what else I should add. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

-Joe

I like to use anise, caraway, and fennel seeds with cinnamon. Just bruise up the seeds a bit and simmer them with the cinnamon and blueberries for ten minutes. What size and how many lbs of honey?

I haven't decided on the recipe, but it will definitely be a 5 gallon batch. I'm thinking probably 10lbs of CostCo clover honey, 5 or 10lbs of frozen blueberries, and 5g of 71B-1122.

Ok, well with the ingredients I mentioned, you can use those for nutrient and for the recipe, that's what I do, and it turns out great. Also, if you have a yeast slurry from a previous batch of mead or wine, that would work really well too, and you wouldn't have too worry about adding yeast. I would recommend getting blueberry flower honey, if possible. I would not recommend using processed honey. If you have a natural foods section at your grocery store or a natural foods store, I recommend using that honey over brand name stuff any day of the week. The honey is everything.

Thanks for the quick responses, pvtpublic!

I appreciate that the honey is everything--after all, this is mead we're talking about--but there's no chance I'm paying top dollar for honey that I'm going to use in a melomel. The stuff from CostCo is the same brand as what I can buy at the organic market (although the organic market has tupelo, buckwheat, and OB, and at substantially higher prices). It's not exactly straight from the hive, but I wouldn't call it "processed."

I have never worked with caraway or fennel seeds, but I'm concerned that anise would impart a strong flavor and aroma that could overpower the blueberry character. What quantities of these seeds are we talking about?

I made a blackberry melomel and didn't really need to add any more nutrient... I used a little of the stuff from Wyeast in the batch, but it took off like a rocket (fermentation time)...

I would have some DAP on hand, just in case you need it. It's not really 'artificial' since it's just a source of the extra nutrients your yeast will want...

If you want another source for nutrients that won't impact the flavor, post up the question on the Got Mead? forums... Or search there... Chances are, it's been asked, and answered, many times...

I agree with Golddiggie that you should check out GotMead.

You could use Bee Pollen or even raisins. But I would do a search as a more experienced Mazer than myself will be better able to guide you.

I like to use anise, caraway, and fennel seeds with cinnamon. Just bruise up the seeds a bit and simmer them with the cinnamon and blueberries for ten minutes. What size and how many lbs of honey?

I would avoid simmering blueberries, or any fruit for that matter.

Back