yeast nutrients with brown sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I am planning on doing two brews from the book "Sacred and herbal healing beers" using brown sugar exclusively as a sugar source . My question is would it be advisable to use a yeast nutrient, and or a paticular strain of yeast? if using a liquid yeast how should I go about making a starter, with exclusively brown sugar?

any help would be apreciated.

Thanks

I would add yeast nutrients. Brown sugar is just refined sugar plus a little molasses. Hopefully there are a lot of herbs & spices in the recipe or you have a high tolerance for really vile beverages.

I am trying to recipes, for one the author specifically recommends brown sugar as the only fermentable. The one recipe is for a yarrow beer, the other is for a ginger ale. Has anyone tried anything similar?

mxyzptlk said:
I am trying to recipes, for one the author specifically recommends brown sugar as the only fermentable. The one recipe is for a yarrow beer, the other is for a ginger ale. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Are you fermenting them to completion? I just pitched in a soda pop type ginger ale two days ago and will be putting them in the fridge tonight to shut down the fermenting.

I just started 1/2 tsp dry yeast in a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of demura sugar.

Pitched that in a 1 gallon batch of ginger ale that consisted of 1/2 cup demura sugar, 1/2 cup honey, 2 oz grated fresh ginger, and the juice of 2 lemons and 1 lime.

It took off like crazy and had krausen until today at mid day. The bottles are plenty tight and I'll be drinking it by tomorrow.

I've done ginger ale with both apple juice and pale DME as a base, but not with just sugar. The juice based one came out better.

my ginger ale recipe calls for 1 week of primary fermentation and then straight to bottles. I was thinking about using brown sugar also for priming, any idea how much I should use?

I usually make a priming solution and rack the beer of the primary before bottling (so bottle size isn't an issue) - I'm doing a 5 gallon batch.

I've seen some other recipe call for as much as 3/4 cup of brown sugar for priming so I'll think I'll go with that-

Back