Quantcast

Yeast nutrient

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I was just curious if any of you recommended using any kind of yeast nutrients to ensure a healthier fermentation. If so, what types would you recommend? Are there any beers that would be more in need of a nutrient?

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't, typically, use yeast nutrients, but I know many brewers that do. Everyone who uses them likes them, although they have their own preferences, so I cannnot recommend any particular one.

They do help ferment any beer, and especially your bigger beers. Really, I ought to use them, but I always forget to pick something up when I'm at the LHBS.

TL

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
They are pretty much required if you're making a mead (maybe wine, too, I'm not sure about that), but wort usually has enough of the stuff that the yeast needs where they're not necessary.

freyguy

Reaction score
Being relatively new into brewing, I try to eliminate any possible issues. I throw in a half teaspoon of Wyeast nutrients into my beer, and even a dash into my starters. The Wyeast is about the same price as regular nutrients, but you use much, much less. I've probably got about 8 or 10 batches on my bottle and have about half left.

Sometimes I ferment down too far though. I just had a pale ale that was supposed to stop at 1.016 with Safale S-05 go down to 1.010!