Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usrbrgr1969

Reaction score
I am making a Russian Imperial Stout with an OG of 1.105 with a 2 L starter of WLP001. Ive been told that I should use yeast nutrient in the last 15 minutes of the boil and Ive never used it before. I thought yeast nutrient was to be used when making the starter. Thoughts?

It's cheap insurance to use yeast nutrients - it makes life a little bit less stressful for the yeast.

By the way, if you are making a 5-gallon batch, you are grossly underpitching with a 2L starter.

Going by Beersmith calculations for starter, hope its enough.:confused:

Always give them a 45sec to min dose of straight oxygen for a healthy start.

You would have needed at least 350 billion cells. 3L starter with 2 vials of yeast

If you have the time, do a step up starter. 1 vial in a 1 liter starter for 24 hours, cold crash decant and add to a 2 liter starter. Run that starter for 36 hours or so, that should be enough cells for that big of a beer.

Mr Malty doesn't adjust the pitch rate. Because of the extra stress and work the yeast need to do in super high gravity beers you need to up the pitch rate.

You should be looking at 1.5 million/ml/plato, not the 0.5 or 0.75 that MrMalty uses.

Use brewersfriends pitch rate as it has adjustable pitch rate settings

Yeast nutrient for sure.
Every time I propagate yeast I use it and you are going to build one big propagation with that beer.
I have read that a double shot of O2 for a beer that big is a good idea also. Probably especially if your going to under pitch it.
Between 12 and 18 hours into fermentation to assure the yeast have made at least one cell division.

Back