Yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorebrews123

Reaction score
I've just bought some yeast nutrient but my batch is already underway can this go in anytime?

Hi, thanks for the reply, what do you mean in off the boil? It's been going for 4 days now?

jbaysurfer likely missed that it's cider, which generally doesn't receive a boil.

Nevertheless, no need/point in adding yeast nutrient this far along, it's designed to help get things going right at the start of the fermentation. In the future, just add it at the same time as your yeast. I only use nutrient when making ciders, not beers, and I don't bother boiling mine (just keep it in the sealed container, and measure it in with a sanitized measuring spoon) though if you're worried you could drop it into a cup of boiling water, let that cool, and then add it to your apple juice along with the yeast.

LOL..sorry, I just try to help sometimes and don't realize which forum I'm in. For beer it goes into the last 15 minutes of the boil. I guess in cider you don't have a boil, so I'm not sure when it goes in. Hopefully a cider maker can chime in.

Back