Yeast nutrient substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Just wondering is there something you can use in place of yeast nutrients? i've heard you can use Vitamin B12, that it's just about the same thing. Thoughts.

fyi I've never used it before, but would like to the next time I brew a cider... ewwww rhino farts!

Cheers,
Phillip

MVKTR2 said:
Just wondering is there something you can use in place of yeast nutrients? i've heard you can use Vitamin B12, that it's just about the same thing. Thoughts.

fyi I've never used it before, but would like to the next time I brew a cider... ewwww rhino farts!

Cheers,
Phillip

Yeast nutrient is a complex mixture of vitamins, mineral, trace elements, proteins and in some cases small amounts of lipids. I guess the closest thing you could use would be a nutritional yeast which is a pasteurized or otherwise deactivated yeast which I see at Whole Foods and healthfood stores. I believe that some vegeterians and vegans use it for flavouring. There are certain brands that are fortified and can be used as a vit. B12 supplement.

If you go this route be certain to buy a yeast that has been deactivated or pasteurized. A good pinch will be all you'll need for a 5 gallon batch.

runhard said:
Yeast nutrient is a complex mixture of vitamins, mineral, trace elements, proteins and in some cases small amounts of lipids. I guess the closest thing you could use would be a nutritional yeast which is a pasteurized or otherwise deactivated yeast which I see at Whole Foods and healthfood stores. I believe that some vegeterians and vegans use it for flavouring. There are certain brands that are fortified and can be used as a vit. B12 supplement.

If you go this route be certain to buy a yeast that has been deactivated or pasteurized. A good pinch will be all you'll need for a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks runhard for the input... but I really don't want to have to run to the wholefood store and ask for pasturized yeast! So I'm still wondering has anyone used Vitamin B12, maybe a whole vitamin? Any other ideas? Just wondering...

Phillip

You could always just ask your homebrew shop for some old ass yeast...that works well. Also, my boss, who owns a homebrew shop uses a pinch of Potassium Metabisulfite for just this purpose in the boil and swears by it.

Back