Yeast nutrient/energizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtietoy85

Reaction score
I'm a noob brewer and need some help figuring out what nutrients/energizer etc. I need. I had got some energizer from a lhbs but do t know what else I need. This is what I got ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408207863.290831.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1408207874.895511.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1408207882.968501.jpg

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

I use the same stuff as energizer. I also get strait dimondium phosphate (DAP). And use that as my yeast nutrient. I always use 1/2 tsp energizer and 1 tsp nutrient per gallon and round up to make numbers easily divisible by 3 and staggar my nutrient additions over a few days.

Ok thanks. I have look into getting some of the other stuff. Are there any other suggestions? Perhaps with different yeast types?

Trying to figure this out!!

That energizer alone will work but I would up the doesage to 1.5 tsp per gallon added in 3 steps at .5tsp per step over a period of three days to a week depending on the yeast used.

Another way to substitute yeast nutrient could be raisins. About 25 per gallon. That is enough to provide munchies for the yeast without changing the flavor drastically.

In a pinch in the past I have also taken 2-3 tsp of bread yeast boiled or microwaved to kill it off and crushed up 1 100mg B6 or B-complex pill. The pill has a chalk that does not dissolve in the must off hand but after a day or two of good fermentation that stuff mixes in and will settle out with the yeast.

Hope some of that helps.

Oh I re-read your post and it looks like you were asking about other things to add to a mead rather than additional info on nutrients...

Potassium bicarbonate is a great additive to help keep the PH from dipping low and cause in stress on the yeast. Honey is acidic, who would have thought? But I have used 3/4 tsp per gallon with great results.

A good no fuss yeast that is good and has a wide ABV range is lalvin 71b-1112.

Past that good water and honey is all you need. If you can get some strait orange blossom honey it makes a fine mead with the above additives.

So far I was able to find DAP with urea. Will this cause problems?

Trying to figure this out!!

Urea serves an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen-containing compounds by animals and is the main nitrogen-containing substance in the urine of mammals. It is a colorless, odorless solid, highly soluble in water and practically non-toxic

Back