Yeast nutrient / adding fruit juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cancider

Reaction score
Hey Gang!

1)

Couple questions if I could get some tips. I'm working my way through two 6 gallon batches of Pear Cider. (Not Perry). 100% pear juice. Fermenting at a constant temp of 60F. My IG started at 1.052. 3 weeks later, 1 is down to 1.010 (which was the same number a week ago), and the other 1.016. Im thinking that the 1.010 is either stuck or finished fermenting. The 1.016 is slowly still fermenting.

Any tips on if I should add a yeast nutrient to get the gravity down to 1.005 ?

2)

I'd like to add apricot , peach & raspberry juice each separately to blend with the pear cider. Any tips or rules of thumb on blending? Or is it trial by fire. Add some... if you need to add a little more, then add until desired?
I'll be adding the other juice to the pear cider in secondary racking.

Thanks! Appreciate any help. 👌

Both strains of yeast should be fermenting, even at 60*F. I don't think there would be a PH problem with pear juice; so I'm thinking if you haven't added nutrient, you might want to add a 1/2 dose of nutrients & give it a GENTLE stir to get it going again. Be sure to dissolve your yeast nutrient in a couple oz. of boiled & cooled water before adding to the must; if you add a dry powder to an active ferment, it'll provide nucleation points & cause the CO2 to rapidly come out of solution & foam all over. Also, double check your hydrometer readings & make certain you're reading it correctly.
http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/hydrometer_use.htm
Hope this helps. Regards, GF.

Regarding the additions of fruit - I do think that this is largely "suck it and see". But here are two strategies you might consider.
1. Take some of the juiced fruit and do a bench trial to see what proportions of each fruit you like. My own method would be much like the way you look at houses when you you want to buy one - you compare each to the previous BEST one and reject all the others. So, you find the best combination between pear and apricot, decide on the ratio of that combination and then you use that mix to determine how much peach you prefer with that . Decide on that mix and then decide on how much raspberry goes with that.
2. Very similar except you ferment each of the fruits separately and blend the wines to determine the ratios of each...

Back