Yeast Mixup: IPA and Cal Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Positronic_Matrix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was brewing an IPA and California Common back to back and mixed up the yeasts. The IPA yeast was supposed to be WLP001 and the California Common was WLP810.

Given that I switched the yeasts, what beers do I have now? Is the IPA a CC and the CC an IPA?

Cal common is a pretty particular style. Not just because of the yeast. Seems to me the IPA will just be a little cleaner, maybe an IPL, and the Cala Common will still be a common just a bit more yeast character.

I was brewing an IPA and California Common back to back and mixed up the yeasts. The IPA yeast was supposed to be WLP001 and the California Common was WLP810.

Given that I switched the yeasts, what beers do I have now? Is the IPA a CC and the CC an IPA?
You mixed up two yeasts in two styles which can be brewed with either or. Bob Ross would have most certainly called this a happy little accident.

Back