Yeast Measuring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
I had a bit of a misshap last night. It seems that i may have put in to much yeast into my root beer and 11-16oz bottles had to be dumped, or sprayed rather, down the drain. I like to have my bottles ready.to go in the fridge the same time as everything else. How can I more accurately measure out champagne yeast for bottles? I use a little less than 1/4tsp per gallon. I did once divide 3/8tsp 12 times (12 16oz bottles equal 1.5 gallons) and that can't be the most effective way of doing this. I typically let my batches sit for about 3 days and put them in the fridge sometime during the third day.

I had a bit of a misshap last night. It seems that i may have put in to much yeast into my root beer and 11-16oz bottles had to be dumped, or sprayed rather, down the drain. I like to have my bottles ready.to go in the fridge the same time as everything else. How can I more accurately measure out champagne yeast for bottles? I use a little less than 1/4tsp per gallon. I did once divide 3/8tsp 12 times (12 16oz bottles equal 1.5 gallons) and that can't be the most effective way of doing this. I typically let my batches sit for about 3 days and put them in the fridge sometime during the third day.

The amount of yeast doesn't matter at all, so you don't have to worry about measuring it accurately. The yeast multiplies in the soda, and then begins fermentation to carb up the soda.

You can use a gram scale if you have one, or a measuring spoon. It doesn't really matter. "Good enough" as a guestimate is really good enough.

Back