Yeast looks weird

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjmartin

Reaction score
I pitched a yeast today that looks a bit weird. Seems to be lots of it at the bottom. More then before.

The picture is after 6 hours. I can't remember that it has looked like this the other times. Maybe I haven't seen this part at the beginning before.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395439805.934753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is hot/cold break as well as some yeast. Perfectly normal. At least that is what I see in the pic.

what strain? doesn't look odd to me. British strains tend to be very clumpy until they get going and then again once they are done.

It is actually my first try to reuse a us-05 yeast. This is my third extract batch so I'm new to brewing. Reusing yeast seems like a good thing when bottling and brewing on the same day. Just out of curiosity I'm trying different stuff to see what happens.

It is actually my first try to reuse a us-05 yeast. This is my third extract batch so I'm new to brewing. Reusing yeast seems like a good thing when bottling and brewing on the same day. Just out of curiosity I'm trying different stuff to see what happens.

that's half the fun!

how much did you pitch? what was the gravity of the new batch?

I never thought about checking how much yeast it was. Maby 3dl?. I light have gotten some of the old beer and slurry also. The OG is 1063.

----
Brewing since march 2014
Rocksta-Stockholm

Forgot to say that I have a 2.6gallon(10liter) fermenter. I did not even think of measuring anything. Just threw in something that looked like yeast from the old fermentation vessel.

----
Brewing since march 2014
Rocksta-Stockholm

About 24 hours after pitch i took the fermenter to room temperature 23c. 6 hours later it started bubbling more frequent from the airlock so I put it back into the locker where I keep around 18-19c. Now 40 hours after pitching the reused yeast it looks really nice. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395562887.196714.jpg

----
Brewing since march 2014
Rocksta-Stockholm

My, what a sexy Krausen you have there!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes it looked really nice! One day later it is not so sexy anymore. Had to add a blow off tube. Next time I reuse yeast I will not add as much as 3dl for 10liter. Maby 1-2 will be enough. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395654167.807182.jpg

----
Brewing since march 2014
Rocksta-Stockholm

Blow off happens. Don't sweat it. The problem with overpitching is our can reduce yeast flavors. The reduced ester profile can leave the beer lacking and unbalanced in flavors. Not ruined, just not as good as it could be. It's far better than underpitching

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Back