yeast in glass and after taste question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
i brewed a belgian noel from ahs in october which called for two containers of white labs yeast. when i racked it to the keg to condition i did notice some suspended yeast but figured it would drop out and come out in the first glass as normal. now im drinking it and there is clearly yeast coming out of the keg even after i pulled a few pints, there is yeast in the bottom of the glass also. could the yeast be causing a metallic bitterness in the beer? the keg has been cold crashing for a few weeks now should i rack of the top to a new keg and will this get rid of the aftertaste? i dont use bleach and i use a keggle to brew in and non of the other 20 batches i made have this taste so i dont think its my process or equipment.
thanks

The metallic taste sometimes comes from bad malts... Suspended yeast can cause some unpleasant aftertastes too. Have you considered adding some gelatin to the keg to clear up that suspended yeast?

Take a half or full pack of knox gelatin and let it fully dissolve in 2-4 cups of warm water for 15 minutes. Then bring it up to almost boiling (don't let it boil). Then let it sit until it is about room temperature. Then add the full mixture to your keg, let it sit for about three days and it should have precipitated most (if not all) your haze to the bottom. The first couple pints will be really nasty but then after that you will have clear beer (or as clear as the beer will ever be)!

If this doesn't take care of the metallic flavors, then you either had metal come off in your process or you had bad malts. In the case of bad malts, it's still OK to drink, it just won't taste very good.

sounds good, thanks for the help. when i let it sit for the three days do i do it a room temp or fridge?

Back