Yeast help.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cclloyd

Reaction score
OK - summer is nearly upon us here in FLA and still being very new at this I need some input from the oldtimers about warm weather brewing. Up to this point I have made 4 five gallon extract batches (wheat, amber ale, pale ale, stout - in that order) with each being better than the previous as I have learned and refined my techniques and gained some experience. The daily temps here are now in the mid 80's heading to the 90's so keeping the house at a preferable fermentation temp (sub 75 degrees) is not going to be feasible for another 6 months or so. My main question is..... are there any yeasts that ferment well in a higher temp range - say 80 - 84 degrees (the temp we keep the house at while at work) without adding undesirable flavors to the brew? I am willing to try nearly any style or type of beer since I really haven't found one yet that I dislike :}
I would like to try a blonde or another wheat - maybe a hefe but don't want to waste my time if the temp range is going to be a problem. I have downloaded the plans for a chiller box but have yet to start that particular project. Your suggestions and guidance are welcome and appreciated.

Belgians may be fermented at higher temps. I would consider checking out Belgian recipes for higher temp brewing. Also consider keeping the carboys wrapped in a towel soaked in water with a fan blowing on them. Depending on humidity where you're at, that will be good for at least a couple of degrees... but you'll have to keep at it... maybe some sort of a tub with the towels having a wicking action...

Try making a Belgian saison. And it just so happens that Wyeast has a Seasonal VSS strain out that ferments up to *95*deg.F.

Wyeast Farmhouse Ale VSS 3726 (Seasonal)

This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a dry peppery finish. A perfect strain for Farmhouse ales and Saisons. Alcohol tolerance: 12% ABV Flocculation: low-medium Attenuation: 76-81% Temperature range: 70-95°F (21-35°C) Available April - June 2007 or until supplies run out

(from Austin HB's website)

Latest posts

Back