Yeast help for a hef/rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plazola86

Reaction score
I wanted to make a hef/rye IPA but I'm stuck on which yeast to use. I was thinking of going with the English Ale WLP002 or the Hef WLP300, any thoughts? Does any one know if I would get bad flavors if I mixed the two? I have used the WLP300 before and love the banana and clove you get from it and think the spiciness of the rye would go good with it but I also want the hops to come through. I have never used the English but read it leaves behind a sweet taste something that I think the wheat extract would benefit from and leaves room for the hops to shine through...any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

A hefe yeast plus an IPA level of hopping, I think will be a muddled mess. Bitter banannas is not a flavor profile id enjoy, YMMV.

So as a grain bill you are using like, say, 33/33/33 wheat/rye/pils or something, is that the idea, like a mix of a hefe and a roggen? or is it an IPA grain bill with 20% wheat and 20% rye tacked on? Lets assume the later.

1968/wlp002 is a low attenuater, and finish malty. Prolly not a good combination with high hops and wheat (and extract if you cant adjust mash temp) If you want a cleaner yeast, but more character than the standard cal ale/us-05/wlp001, wyeast 1335, wyeast1028 or wyeast 1098 could work. If you want a fruitier yeast and arent going insane with the hops, wyeast1275 or wyeast1469 are options.

Back