Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelr

Reaction score
I thought the dark stuff was suppose to be on the bottom when harvesting yeast. Not sure if that's true or older yeast. It was taken from a SS conical fermenter. Can anyone tell me what's going on. I'm new to harvesting and washing yeast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180130-052405.png
    Screenshot_20180130-052405.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 123
Your yeast is on the bottom. Usually, it is on the top, but not always, as you're finding out. Must be a pretty flocculent strain, as it settled before the majority of the trub. Not a big deal, though. Store it as-is in the fridge until you're ready to make a fresh starter from it. Decant most of the liquid and dump all the slurry (light and dark) in the starter vessel and you're good to go. It should keep for at least six months just as it is, probably longer.

Your yeast is on the bottom. Usually, it is on the top, but not always, as you're finding out. Must be a pretty flocculent strain, as it settled before the majority of the trub. Not a big deal, though. Store it as-is in the fridge until you're ready to make a fresh starter from it. Decant most of the liquid and dump all the slurry (light and dark) in the starter vessel and you're good to go. It should keep for at least six months just as it is, probably longer.
Thanks

Back