Yeast harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammyg

Reaction score
Hey folks. So when I harvest my yeast, I boil water, let it cool, throw it into my trub and yeast cake, slur it around and dump it into jars. Most videos I see, you can clearly see the liquid, the yeast, and the trub. For me it only really separates into liquid and yeast/trub...View attachment 399698
Thoughts??

I pour off a from the bottom of my fermentor in a pizza sauce jar. The beer and yeast/trub separate out. When it is time to reuse, I pour off the beer and pure in the trub/ yeast mix. Never had a problem. I dont worry about washing my yeast.

Harvested yeast stored under the beer that remained in the fermentor after racking. I pour through a fine mesh bag into the fermentor to remove hop debris for a cleaner yeast harvest. I used to rinse but would only end up with about 50 ml of yeast. The two pint jars in the foreground contain less than half the yeast that was in the fermentor.

479resized.jpg

Back