yeast harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Aarong2008

Reaction score
I have a few yeast related questions. I want to get into harvesting yeast from my 5 gallon batches and I have watched many videos on how to do so. Usually, they split up the slurry into 4 or 5 smaller mason jars and I was curious how to figure out how much slurry you would need for a starter for a 5 gallon batch? Is one of the mason jars enough? I haven't seen anyone explain that.

My next question is about bottle harvesting yeast. I have also read and watched videos on how to do so with the step up method, but I haven't found a clear answer when you have enough slurry for 5 gallons.

Thanks.

d3track

Are you sure about that?
Reaction score
Use one of the pitch rate calculators. You have to do some rough estimating, but it will get you close to the correct pitch rate.

Calder

Reaction score
The easy way: Use slurry within a week and use roughly a quarter (to a third) of the total slurry from the batch for the next beer. No washing, no starter, just keep in fridge until needed.

I have used slurry up to 2 months old with no issues. I usually bump up he pitch to half the slurry if it is that long.

I work off the fact that at the end of fermentation a beer will end up with roughly 6X the 'correct' pitch rate (from Yeast, Zainasheff & White). Factor in some yeast has died, some is still in suspension, and so I estimate roughly 4x gets harvested. That's my rationale for using a quarter of the slurry. I think it is as accurate (or more accurate) than using a calculator for slurry.

The hard way: use a starter, figure out what quantity is solids, how much increase you get, etc. Even washing yeast is a pain.

MagicMatt

Brewmathemagician
Reaction score
I like to harvest from my starters instead of messing around with the yeast in the bottom of the carboy. I just overbuild my starters by 100 billion cells, and then pour off the appropriate amount of slurry (usually I'm building a starter to get to around 250B cells to pitch, plus the 100B extra = 350B total, so I generally save about 1/3 of the starter).

I then let the saved portion sit in the fridge for a week and then decant and store in 50mL test tubes with equal parts yeast slurry and 20% glycerol solution, and then freeze indefinitely.

This essentially gives me a fresh smack pack's worth of yeast to use later, and I should never have to buy that strain again.

coolharry

Reaction score
I'm with Matt, harvesting from a starter is my go to now. I use homebrewdads calculator and have had great success overbuilding by about 100 billion cells. I let the starter ferment out and pour off about 400-500 ml into a mason jar, cold crash it, decant the liquid and then store it in soda bottle preforms (similar to the old white labs tubes) for later use.

Calder

Reaction score
I like to harvest from my starters instead of messing around with the yeast in the bottom of the carboy. I just overbuild my starters by 100 billion cells.

I then let the saved portion sit in the fridge for a week and then decant and store in 50mL test tubes with equal parts yeast slurry and 20% glycerol solution, and then freeze indefinitely.

I'm with Matt, harvesting from a starter is my go to now.

I do that for every starter, to save for some for use time way in the future, but for re-use for consecutive batches, it is wayyyyyyy less effort to just pull some slurry and re-pitch. All you need to do is sanitize the collection jar.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
Once in the jars, the yeast settles into a thick slurry. Most pint mason jars have an mL marker on the side. Sources on the internet state thick slurry can contain anywhere from 1-4 billion cells per mL. Wyeast states that it is 1.2 billion cells per mL, which is what I go by for conservative reasons. That way, if my cell count per mL is more, then I overpitch (not an issue with homebrewers) than underpitch.

Even so, after washing, I tend to collect ~60mL thick yeast in each pint mason jar. This equates to 72bil cells, which is equivalent to a roughly 1 month old wyeast smackpack.

I have two yeast starters going currently with third generation 1056 that is 1 month old (60mL/each) that both took off <12 hrs (better than some smackpacks) on a stirplate for a brew tomorrow. I honestly prefer harvested yeast over bought yeast.

Latest posts