Yeast Harvesting Success (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
Hey All--

I haven't posted in ages, but still use the forum as an incredible resource for techniques, recipes, equipment, gatherings, etc. So I thought I would return some info as a resource to someone else.

I have pictures of the process of Yeast harvesting, as do others on here. I plan on posting them, in full, soon. I wanted to share the end result to see the amount of yeast you collect from just a small sample.

The flask on the left is from two 750ml of Unibroue Wit and the flask on the right is from two 22oz. bottles of Rogue (Pacman).

I put about 400mL of wort in each flask. Enjoyed the beer by pouring into a glass leaving the bottom 1/2 - 3/4 inch. I then swirled the bottle to get all the yeast off the bottom and poured into the flask and placed on a stir plate. Once I saw signs of fermentation/activity I added another 400-500mL or wort. You can see the rings on the flasks marking the levels of wort additions. I just placed them in the fridge last night for a 24 crashing. I will harvest 6 vials of each tonight and put back in the fridge. Tomorrow morning (brew day) i will place back on the stir plate and add about 200mL of wort to get the yeast in full fermentation for the pitch.

They are still settling, but you can see about 1/2" layer of yeast from just 2 bottles.
yeastharvest.jpg

this is exactly what i was looking for, and interestingly enough i google searched to find it!

would love to hear how the unibroue turned out, as i want to try harvesting a fin du monde 750

Back