Yeast Harvesting storage questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnigh7

Reaction score
What is the preferred method of doing this? I'm trying to find the best method for me.

Freezing with glycerine, or using the agar agar slants?

What would store the longest? I would assume that the freezing would not dry out and might store a bit better?

Any of you do both?

Thanks,
-Midnigh7-

I was just listening to a podcast about building a yeast library. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/612 Jamil discusses various aspects of each of them.

Do what works best for you. I keep one or two around of washed or top-cropped strains in the fridge and try to get a starter of them going before two months is up. So far it has worked well for me.

I just store in mason jars like the yeast washing thread shows.

Unfortunately a few months ago while I was away my fridge took a dump and all my yeast warmed up for about a week. I thought maybe they would be OK, but after opening a couple, they just didn't smell right. I even made starters out of a couple and they still just didn't smell right anymore, so I had to dump my whole bank. I don't know if they were actually bad or not, but I didn't want to chance it. :mad:

I store mine in jars in the fridge. I don't think I would attempt to store them past a few months. Over time you loose viability.

Freezing will take quite a bit more equipment and work but you can store them much longer. The only reason I see for going this route is to maintain a supply of strains that are not available at the LHBS. It's just too much effort for something you can easily buy. That's my .02

Back