Yeast harvested from primary - is a starter necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidan

Reaction score
I've searched on the forum and read some posts about yeast harvesting, and the posts that I have read have given me a good idea of how to go about it. ( the video linked from this post is especially useful). But I still have a question. Most of what I've read/watched about yeast harvesting talks about making a starter before pitching. My understanding is that the purpose of a starter is to increase the yeast count. So I'm wondering if I can simplify the process and skip the starter if I just use more of the harvested yeast?

Additionally, is there any downside of pitching too much yeast? And how can you estimate with harvested yeast how much is enough, or how much is too much?

If your using the yeast fresh, i.e. right out of the primary, then a starter should be unnecessarily, BUT if you store it in the fridge for any length of time, I would make a starter....Besides building up the cell counts, starters also help wke up the dormant yeast.

. . . . Most of what I've read/watched about yeast harvesting talks about making a starter before pitching. My understanding is that the purpose of a starter is to increase the yeast count. So I'm wondering if I can simplify the process and skip the starter if I just use more of the harvested yeast?

Additionally, is there any downside of pitching too much yeast? And how can you estimate with harvested yeast how much is enough, or how much is too much?

Another very important purpose of the starter is to be able to pitch active yeast as opposed to dormant yeast. This reduces lag time significantly, usually washed or harvested yeast is stored in a fridge prior to use, so it is dormant.

Also yeast in a fermentor will be somewhat dormant because at the point where we are ready to harvest it, we have typically been trying to get it to flocc out and go dormant to clear the beer.

One can however harvest active yeast from the kreusen of an actively fermenting ale to pitch if the wort of another batch is ready, etc.

One way to estimate the amount of yeast to pitch is of course with the famed mrmalty.com website.:mug:

One way to estimate the amount of yeast to pitch is of course with the famed mrmalty.com website.:mug:
I've checked out the calculator and it's interesting but the calculation relies on 2 variables that I would have no idea how to estimate - yeast concentration and non-yeast %. So it still would be a bit of a guessing game. I would probably go with the approach of pitch all or most of the yeast harvested from a batch. Any major downsides with over-pitching?

I've searched on the forum and read some posts about yeast harvesting, and the posts that I have read have given me a good idea of how to go about it. ( the video linked from this post is especially useful). But I still have a question. Most of what I've read/watched about yeast harvesting talks about making a starter before pitching. My understanding is that the purpose of a starter is to increase the yeast count. So I'm wondering if I can simplify the process and skip the starter if I just use more of the harvested yeast?

Increasing yeast cell count is only one function of a starter. You also make one to ensure that the yeast are healthy and free of infection. I always make a starter from harvested yeast because you don't always know what the cell count is, especially LIVE yeast cell count. Some of your slurry can have trub or hop particulates mixed in as well as dead yeast.

. . . . . Any major downsides with over-pitching?

It's been discussed "ad naseum" you can search for over pitch or over pitching and find a tad bit of light reading;). I'd say overpitch rather than under pitch every time.

Keep on brewing my friend:mug:

All very interesting. So I've used havested yeast (W.L. California Ale) from the bottom of the primary) for my last three batches and done nothing more than let it warm up while I'm brewing. In all three cases fermentation is started with in 12 hours and vigorous by 24. In each case the yeast was stored in the fridge for a about 3 weeks prior to use. My pitching rate is about 2.5 oz / 5 gallons. If I have the time and remember I'll use a starter next time - just to see what the difference is - because so far - no matter how bone headed I've been - I've gotten very drinkable beer.

Latest posts

Back