Yeast Harvest Tracker Cost Thingy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucebeernut

Reaction score
Is there a yeast tracker program or spread that lets you track overbuilds, pitched, generations, including costs etc.?
Example: Today I pitched WLP051 into a starter to 2nd step pitch build to ~550b cells in 2.5L. ~330b cells (~1.5L) will be pitched to this weekends' batch (1.076 Black IPA), remaining ~220b (~1L), crashed and harvested into 2 "vials". Costs would be DME, Fermaid-K nutrient, Fercap-S foam control and yeast. Once you split off and start next the build/overbuild, costs change on the harvested "vials"... and to track generations...

Not that I'm aware of. I would probably take the offline excel version of the yeast utility on brew united, and a a sheet of costs per unit, then add a sheet of each starter made with appx cell counts and resources used with approx. Cost and approx savings vs buying a fresh vial.

I started a spread and didn't like the way it was evolving so searched and found nothing... Hope there's something out there to be shared. I may just dive in and make one myself...

Recently I've started to keep track of my yeast inventory on an Excel sheet. This in addition to hops and grain, which I've been keeping track of for years.

The yeast tab is simply an inventory with notes, no real calculations (yet). I use Mr. Malty, Brewer's Friend's, or Kai's calculator when making a starter. Each jar or vial in the inventory has an entry line under the yeast lab's ID number and name. Information is recorded on how much is stored (the eyeballed volume of the settled thick slurry), date of harvest, and a brief history of its usage.

When I make a fresh starter (from a purchased smack pack, bottle or vial) and use most of the starter for a pitch, but ranch 100ml for future use, the yeast gets 2 lines. One for the pitch and the other as the stored starter (with approx. volume and date). The pitch line will be amended when I harvest the yeast, with the approximate volume of slurry and date, plus what beer it came from.

When I make a new starter from the ranched first starter, that line splits again, one for the pitch, the other for any ranched amount. And so on. If I consolidate 3 jars into one, it also becomes one line in the inventory, while the notes of each are transferred.

Recently I've started to keep track of my yeast inventory on an Excel sheet. This in addition to hops and grain, which I've been keeping track of for years.

The yeast tab is simply an inventory with notes, no real calculations (yet). I use Mr. Malty, Brewer's Friend's, or Kai's calculator when making a starter. Each jar or vial in the inventory has an entry line under the yeast lab's ID number and name. Information is recorded on how much is stored (the eyeballed volume of the settled thick slurry), date of harvest, and a brief history of its usage.

When I make a fresh starter (from a purchased smack pack, bottle or vial) and use most of the starter for a pitch, but ranch 100ml for future use, the yeast gets 2 lines. One for the pitch and the other as the stored starter (with approx. volume and date). The pitch line will be amended when I harvest the yeast, with the approximate volume of slurry and date, plus what beer it came from.

When I make a new starter from the ranched first starter, that line splits again, one for the pitch, the other for any ranched amount. And so on. If I consolidate 3 jars into one, it also becomes one line in the inventory, while the notes of each are transferred.

Very similar to what I started, thanks!

Here is what I do.
Yeast $8.00
3 lbs of DME $12
Cost of yeast starter equipment $100.

Each starter uses 6-7 ounces of DME. 48 ounces in the 3lb pack so 6 starters costs $2 each.
Mason jars (had mine from wedding/misc) $20.

It costs me $2 to make a starter. No real need to track because 1L is $1. Initial startup costs could be entered off on the distance in case you wanted Otto know what specific starter finally saved you all the money you spent to get to this point. Lol!

Excel spreadsheet listing yeast name in A, date purchased in B, every column after that would be harvest date and/or overbuild size. Or you could make a table in excel for each specific yeast you save and record date purchased, date harvested, volume harvested in rows (not columns) and each column would be generations 1, 2, etc. so under each generation you have the information for that specific yeast.

Back