Yeast harvest, Stone Go to IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know off topic but do you ever get a salty taste from this beer? Or any other session IPAs? I seem to pick that up in every session ipa and it drives me nuts cause I can't stand be flavor.

I just built up yeast harvested from Bell's Oberon, it is a fun and rewarding process. I ended up with the equivalent of 4 WL vials after several step ups on the starters.

I was brewing a week and a half ago and preparing to enjoy an Arrogant Bastard. Had a sterile test tube laying around and decided to see of I could harvest Stone yeast. The AB had NO sediment in the bottle but I thought, eh...why not. Carefully poured out the AB keeping a small amount in the bottle (20 ML??). Put about 30 ML of my chilled wort into the test tube along with the 20 ML from the bottom of the AB, capped it and put it on the counter...nothing...nothing...nothing...nothing...gave up but was too lazy to go in the kitchen last night before bed and dump the test tube. As if the yeast could read my mind and knew of my fiendish plans to banish them to the local sewerage treatment plant, they sprung to life last night!

Sooooo...I guess you can harvest yeast from a Stone's Arrogant Bastard...you just need to be a Lazy Bastard to do it!

Well, the rub is you may not have what you think you have.

Out of laziness, I often don't discard my hydrometer samples, and they also come to life.

Kidding aside, you likely have a viable stone culture.

Well, the rub is you may not have what you think you have.

Out of laziness, I often don't discard my hydrometer samples, and they also come to life.

Kidding aside, you likely have a viable stone culture.
Always a chance that it got "infected" with one of the stray Chico, Cali V, Trappist, Ringwood, Saison II, etc. yeasties floating around in my kitchen!!!!

Back