Yeast harvest from Bells cans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MplsUgly

Reaction score
I guess time will tell but maybe someone here has already done this. I just tried to scavenge th dregs from 5 cans of two hearted to make a starter. I kinda tore the cans open to take a look at the yeast content and dump them but I didn't see much yeast content like you do in a bottle.

Does bells filter the caned beer or are cans not viable for harvesting yeast? I dumped all 5 cans in and hit go on the stir plate, say a prayer and call it good I guess!

24 hrs and It looks like it's building some yeast so maybe this will work.

Last edited:
Bells is unfiltered and recommends a small starter of 1.020 for the 1st step. I believe they say 100 ml for the 1st step.

You can google search harvesting bells yeast and it should pop up or at least it used to.

Well it worked. I've got a really nice batch of yeast but to be honest, I don't want to brew in sub zero temps this weekend. What can I do to save this starter for a later date? How long can it last? I think I can just dump it into a clean sanitized mason jar and put it in the fridge for a couple weeks?? The. When I want to brew decant, feed with a new batch of wort and let it wake up?

Any advice on keeping yeast happy for a couple weeks?

I would treat it like an over build starter and just store it in fridge until ready. what I do is decant put in about 1 qt starter fluid and let her rip for 24 hrs then pitch the whole thing in. If the wort is higher then 1.050 I will take 1 qt from the boil after 10 min and chill and pitch that on top then pitch the whole thing at high krausen. Isee activity in 4-6 hrs with every yeast except BRY-97 that one is going by morning ~ 12-16 hrs.

Back