Yeast growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmf143

Reaction score
If I have 2 flasks each filled with 1400ml of 1.040 wort, and I put X ml of yeast slurry in one of them and 2X ml of yeast slurry in the other, will I end up with the same amount of yeast after both have completely fermented? Will the starter that begins with 2X of slurry finish faster than the other one?

If, and I mean IF, all other variables are optimal. Temperature, enough nutrients, enough oxygen,...

The 2X will finish faster and the amount of yeast in each will be the same.

If, and I mean IF, all other variables are optimal. Temperature, enough nutrients, enough oxygen,...

The 2X will finish faster and the amount of yeast in each will be the same.

Yes, as long as X and 2X is less than the amount of yeast needed to ferment 1400ml of 1.040 wort. IOTW, as long as you didn't overpitch to start.

Yes, as long as X and 2X is less than the amount of yeast needed to ferment 1400ml of 1.040 wort. IOTW, as long as you didn't overpitch to start.

From a practical view then, if I'm washing yeast I could use 8 jars rather than 4, with each of the 8 having half the amount of yeast I would have collected in 4. Is there any detriment to "under pitching" a starter, provided of course there's ample nutrient and oxygen?

Under pitching will stress the yeast. Best bet is to do a step up approach and make a small starter (250ml) for your starter (1500-2000ml).

Back