Yeast gone crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHouseBrewhaus

Reaction score
So, I think I may have killed my holiday ale. It all started with a small brain fart.

I am brewing my holiday ale for the third year so I knew what to expect. It's 65% pale, 15% light munich and 20% choc/c60/honey malt/oats. I mashed on the high side (154F) and gave it a good shot of O2. Beersmith predicted OG/FG of 1.065/1.019. OG was right on target. I used MJ Newcastle yeast. The brain fart is that I only used 1 packet when I usually use 2.

Fast forward 2 weeks and my SG is 1.026 for several days. I figure I underpitched. I pitch some rehydrated US-05 with a little sugar and nutrient to jump start it. One week later, SG 1.026. I don't want to bottle at this gravity.

So here's where it comes off the rails. A few years ago I used some WLP099 on a stuck fermentation with good results. So I figured I would try it again here. Well, it has been plugging away now for the last week and a half with no end in sight. Checked the gravity again tonight - 1.006! I tasted the sample and it tastes hot but fine. No indication of infection (if you don't count the fermentation on steroids).

So what do I do now? Is there a way to stop fermentation or do I just let it run its course and see where it ends? At this point it is 13 points over attenuated. Will it even be recognizable as beer when it's done?

So, I think I may have killed my holiday ale. It all started with a small brain fart.

I am brewing my holiday ale for the third year so I knew what to expect. It's 65% pale, 15% light munich and 20% choc/c60/honey malt/oats. I mashed on the high side (154F) and gave it a good shot of O2. Beersmith predicted OG/FG of 1.065/1.019. OG was right on target. I used MJ Newcastle yeast. The brain fart is that I only used 1 packet when I usually use 2.

Fast forward 2 weeks and my SG is 1.026 for several days. I figure I underpitched. I pitch some rehydrated US-05 with a little sugar and nutrient to jump start it. One week later, SG 1.026. I don't want to bottle at this gravity.

So here's where it comes off the rails. A few years ago I used some WLP099 on a stuck fermentation with good results. So I figured I would try it again here. Well, it has been plugging away now for the last week and a half with no end in sight. Checked the gravity again tonight - 1.006! I tasted the sample and it tastes hot but fine. No indication of infection (if you don't count the fermentation on steroids).

So what do I do now? Is there a way to stop fermentation or do I just let it run its course and see where it ends? At this point it is 13 points over attenuated. Will it even be recognizable as beer when it's done?

I vote just letting it go and see what happens

If it ever stops I'm thinking of adding some maltodextrine to see if I can salvage at least a little body. Not sure how much to add. Any suggestions?

OK, it seems to have finished at 1.004!!! That's 94% attenuation and 8.4% ABV! As far as I can tell (look, smell and taste) this is all from the yeast and not an infection. I'm a firm believer in not dumping any brew without giving it a fighting chance. So I'm going to try restoring some body and sweetness.

I'm considering adding malto or lactose or both. I know malto adds body without sweetness and lactose adds both. But which is more efficient at adding body. If malto adds the most body, I could add both to get the most body and a bit of sweetness. If they are both about as efficient, I can just go with lactose.

Any suggestions?

Personally find Maltodextrin to add body really well and still bump sweetness. But make sure you even need to, it may not need it.

(Disclaimer: I've tasted the effects of lactose additions, and they're okay but can't stomach it myself - literally. Lot of folks have lactose intolerance, so if you plan on sharing it, be mindful of that.)

It definitely needs something. It's very thin and dry right now. I have some malto on hand so I may try adding some and see what it does. If I need more sweetness after that, I can get some lactose. I have about 10 oz of malto. I'm tempted to add all of it. Any thoughts?

I would say that depends on volume you have and what kind of effect you want. You probably won't get back to your 1.019 target with an unfermentable sugar without it tasting off. If it were me, I'd probably boil half that in a minimal amount of water (to dissolve) for a 5 gallon batch, cool, gently add to vessel, then let settle and taste. Adjust as desired. Obviously watch sanitation, as your chances of infection go up if you open too often, but it would keep from "overseasoning" so to speak.

At this point I'll be happy to get it back over 1.010. I think I'll try 8 oz of malto and see what it's like. Thanks for the input. I'll report back.

Back