Yeast get no respect, no respect at all, I tell ya.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
I'm going to make some gross generalizations here, and say that yeast selection is overtly disrespected among the homebrewing community at large.
I will see people spending $50-60 on ingredients at the LHBS but they can't part with the extra $2 for a yeast strain different than S-05. It blows my mind. Yeast are responsible for the majority of the beer's flavor -- why do some people relegate yeast selection to an afterthought?
I might get thrown in the dugout for this one, but it's high time someone stands up for diversity in the microbial brotherhood. After all, yeast are people too.
/end rant

I enjoy trying different yeast strains though my lhbs is a dry yeast store. I need to pick up some Irish and Scottish strains.

I just tried to start up some wlp004 and zero, zip, zilch 22 hours later. Luckily I have Nottingham as a dry alternative.

I enjoy trying different yeast strains though my lhbs is a dry yeast store. I need to pick up some Irish and Scottish strains.

Scottish Ale (WLP028 / WY1728) is one of my dead nuts favorites, attenuates like a beast. Just gotta keep initial fermentation temperatures low or that dark cherry note will crop up.

I thought I was going to be using my Nottingham yeast in place of my wlp004 Irish ale yeast as my starter was showing me nothing after 24 hours. This am I awoke to see a nice kreusen on top! Now I can harvest and pitch tonight with the yeast I wanted AND not have to buy more!

For those keeping score, that's a win/win!

I respect yeast. I feel its largely overlooked, especially with the use of convenient dry yeasts. A lot of brewers just chuck in a pack of US-05 like a quick rising bread yeast and dont give it a second thought.

At any given time I've got 6 or more starters going and I keep 20 or so cultures I try to rotate around in my fridge

Why is US-05 a bad choice in yeast? If it does what one needs for the beer one is trying to make, why change? Especially in beers where a majority of the flavor is from the hops, and you don't really want the yeast to stand out.

Personally, I have never used US-05, I tend more towards Belgian and German yeasts because I like those styles of beer. Yes, they cost more than US-05, but higher cost does not necessarily equal better. It all depends on the style.

Why is US-05 a bad choice in yeast? If it does what one needs for the beer one is trying to make, why change? Especially in beers where a majority of the flavor is from the hops, and you don't really want the yeast to stand out.

Personally, I have never used US-05, I tend more towards Belgian and German yeasts because I like those styles of beer. Yes, they cost more than US-05, but higher cost does not necessarily equal better. It all depends on the style.

I don't think he's saying its a bad yeast, I think he's just saying its the go-to of many since its easy to find, cheap to purchase and still makes great brew.

For most people who don't feel like making starters and/or branching out with various liquid strains, 05 works for them and they are content with it :) but obviously the OP is like a lot of others on here who love fine tuning and changing things up

if it works for them, power to them

the variety available is great, but for some of us who are still trying to nail down consistency and repeatability, simplicity is a key factor in our decisions

& there are few options more simple than US-05 & it makes a good beer

got lucky in that we have a local microbiologist who started his own yeast company. only a couple strains for now, but his Pale Ale turns out delicious beers (it's a local commercial brewery's house strain). I'm gonna stick with his brand from now on. done 3 batches with his and they've been my best so far

he also hooked me up with some Basque cider yeast and a batch of apple wine with that is just outstanding. can't wait to try another batch!

I definitely respect the yeast. I respect all the parts that make the beer whole! I also respect homebrewers who are trying to get a sense of consistency and who want to experiment with other variables.

Yeast might be my favorite part. I bought the yeast book as one of my first brewing texts and got into starters very quickly. my favorite yeast is WLP300 and I really want to explore more yeasts. the biggest problem for me is that i am still relatively new to the hobby (just coming up on 2 years) and I have limited time to brew. With requests for certain beers and an initial focus on process rather than variety, I have been guilty to sticking to a just a few strains.

Hops contribute bittering, cohomulone and at high levels, a modest amount of acidity. But the esters, phenolics, alcohol and residual sugar levels are derived from the yeast strain. And even if you're looking for a "clean" and less expressive strain, there are better options available (WY1272 or WLP029, for example).

I don't think US-05 is bad, just boring. My gripe is that people choose accessible yeast because it is familiar and easy to use...why change something that you already know works for you? In my mind this is as willfully ignorant as using one malt for the rest of your life.

Your original post was more than acceptable, but now you're starting to sound like an EAC.

My disagreement is this:
What if someone is making fantastic beers that they are completely satisfied drinking? Why should they switch to something else that may not give them the results they are looking for? People may want their beer to taste that way, not your way.

Hops contribute bittering, cohomulone and at high levels, a modest amount of acidity. But the esters, phenolics, alcohol and residual sugar levels are derived from the yeast strain. And even if you're looking for a "clean" and less expressive strain, there are better options available (WY1272 or WLP029, for example).

I don't think US-05 is bad, just boring. My gripe is that people choose accessible yeast because it is familiar and easy to use...why change something that you already know works for you? In my mind this is as willfully ignorant as using one malt for the rest of your life.

WLP029 is a Kolsch yeast. It's not in the same league as US-05, or WY1272,or WLP001. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

I agree that yeast is very important - for many styles. Saison has to be brewed with Saison yeast, lager with lager yeast and Hefeweizen with Hefe yeast.

But for a lot of ales, the good clean yeast can do a variety of beers. My favorite clean yeast is WLP090 San Diego Superyeast. It's like WLP001 California Ale on steroids (in a good way).

A lot of commercial breweries have only a few yeast varieties - I have about a dozen different yeast cultures that I store in my fridge and use routinely - many breweries use just a handful. Which means a lot of breweries in their stouts would rather use their standard ale yeast, say WLP001 instead of british WLP005 or WLP002 - as homebrewers we can (ironically) afford to use a wider variety of yeasts, grains and hops than the commercial breweries can - because of scaling and cost arguments.

If I am doing a pale ale or IPA I am going with US-05. I get a good clean beer (never had peach or hazy beer I have seen others complain about), I can't tell the difference between US-05 and WLP001 (though I never did a proper triangle test). I don't need to bother with a starter and worry about contamination with that.

WLP090 is great if you are looking for quick turnaround on beers. A small brewery I frequent told me they use WLP090 for most everything so they can get beer out of their fermenters and ready for the next batch ASAP. But as a homebrewer I don't have this concern and few extra days in primary are not going to matter as it is not my time actively being spent. This same brewery also told me their belgians were made with their saison yeast fermented at different temperature profiles, pure economics for them.

I will use liquid yeast when making something that calls for a specific yeast (belgians, saisons, hefs, etc) with proper sized starters and the whole 9 yards. I am also wanting to do a split batch on an IPA with WLP029. I had an IPA flight in the white labs tasting room and really loved the kolsch yeast in an IPA, but not sure I would do it every time.

I always respect the yeast. Remember the saying, "We make the wort but the yeast make the beer." I make starters for all of my batches. I like the process that the yeast goes through to ferment the wort into beer and it fascinates me. I also like to match the yeast to the style I am making. German, Belgian, English for those styles etc. Some bring out the malt and let it do it's thing. Some add a fruity note and some stay in the background and let the hops do it's thing etc. They all have their own character and add something to the beer, whether it be flavor or attenuation characteristics, like dryer or sweeter etc..

So with all the choices out there I'd say do your homework, don't be afraid to expand your horizons and experiment, and enjoy all the great yeasts that are available. You will make awesome beer and discover certain strains that might just become your new favorites! Just saying....

John

Your original post was more than acceptable, but now you're starting to sound like an EAC.

My disagreement is this:
What if someone is making fantastic beers that they are completely satisfied drinking? Why should they switch to something else that may not give them the results they are looking for? People may want their beer to taste that way, not your way.

?

I'm not really bothered about whichever way homebrewers want their beers to taste. If they prefer the taste of one yeast over others, that's a good thing to be satisfied. But never trying a different strain whatsoever? I'd say it's analogous to spending your whole life without trying chocolate ice cream because you enjoy vanilla already.

Don't trash US05..... I realize you are just using that as an example but... I do a lot of APAs and often do not plan ahead to be able to make a starter so I always have some US05 on hand. I use a lot of other yeasts also, but in a pinch it is right back to US05.

Back