yeast from stone old guardian 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octoflab

Reaction score
found a bottle of this stuff today for $4.99 and decided to pick it up. i noticed that there is a creamy layer of yeasty beasties in there and was wondering if anyone knew what strain it might be. if anyone has stepped it up and brewed with it, what results did you have?

According to CYBI it's equivalent to WLP007 Dry english ale yeast. They use it for everything I think.

Stone uses WLP007 in their beer. I'd drink the barley wine, enjoy it to the fullest, but not bother recovering the yeast. That yeast is very old and very stressed, if not downright dead. Just spend the $7 on the new stuff, wash it, and keep your own fresh stock.

thanks for the replies. i had a feeling it was the same stuff that they use in everything. i was really hoping that since it was a barleywine it might have something special going on there. i guess i'll have to go back to experimenting with whatever the yeast is that i cultured from a bottle of hen's tooth. :drunk:

Back